On Friday, February 1, School-Business Partnerships of Long Island, Inc. (SBPLI) and Farmingdale State College will host their “Super Bowl of Smarts” Breakfast to benefit the Fred Breithut Scholarship Fund. The program includes a continental breakfast and will begin at 8:30 a.m. at Farmingdale State College’s University Club in Knapp Hall.
The Fred Breithut Scholarship was established in November 2009 in partnership with Farmingdale State College. It is for graduating high school seniors who have met specific academic requirements and who have participated in the Long Island FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) robotics program. These students will be entering the freshman class at Farmingdale State College to pursue a degree in Mathematics, Engineering Technology, Computer Systems or related fields of study.
Those in attendance will have a chance to meet fellow colleagues and learn about the importance of SBPLI’s FIRST robotics programs and the late chairman/founder of the organization for whom the scholarship is named.
“Fred lived a life that is a model for all of us,” said Joani Madarash, Executive Director, SBPLI. “He always had the vision, persistence and tireless devotion to moving our organization forward.”
The four-year scholarship is for students enrolling in Farmingdale State College and provides $1,000 per semester. In order for a student to be eligible for the scholarship, he or she must meet the following requirements:
● Confirmed active participation in the Long Island FIRST robotics program while in high school for at least two years (preferably three years)
● A high school GPA of 85 or better
● An SAT score of 550 or better in Math, and 1100 or better in Math/Critical Reading
● A letter of recommendation, either from a high school team mentor or an involved teacher
● Enrollment in one of Farmingdale State College’s four-year programs: Mathematics, Engineering Technology, Computer Systems or related fields of study
For the continuation of the scholarship each semester while the recipient is at Farmingdale State College, he or she must meet the following criteria:
● A 3.5 GPA at the end of each semester
● A commitment to promote and support the Long Island FIRST robotics program
● A letter describing the actions he or she has taken to promote and support the LI FIRST program on Long Island and/or within Farmingdale State College
Tickets to attend this breakfast event are $35, with all proceeds going directly toward the Fred Breithut Scholarship Fund. Anyone who cannot attend but wishes to contribute can still make a donation to the fund. All checks and reservations must be received on or before Friday, January 25, 2013.
To RSVP and to donate, send your tax-deductible contribution to SBPLI, Attn.: Joani Madarash, PO Box 101, Kings Park, NY 11754. Please make checks payable to Farmingdale State College Foundation, with “The Fred Breithut Scholarship Fund” written on the memo line.
To confirm a reservation, ensure that a check has been received, or for more information, call Joani Madarash at (631) 627-8400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on SBPLI, visit www.sbpli-lifirst.org.