- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups dried white bread cubes
- 1 recipe Roasted Chestnuts or one 15-ounce can chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 - 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (optional)
In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and carrot; cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in parsley (if desired), poultry seasoning, and pepper.
In a very large bowl combine celery mixture, bread cubes, and Roasted Chestnuts. Drizzle with enough of the 1 to 1 1/3 cups broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine. Place stuffing in a 2-quart casserole. (To serve today, omit Step 3 and continue as directed in Step 4, except bake, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot in center [165 degrees F].)
Cover with plastic wrap; chill for up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If chilled, remove plastic wrap. If desired, drizzle stuffing with an additional 1/4 cup chicken broth to moisten. Bake, covered, for 40 to 50 minutes or until hot in center (165 degrees F).