Eat, Drink & Be Merry: Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Balsamic Tartlets
1/2 C balsamic vinegar
2 T brown sugar
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
1 egg yolk, beaten with a bit of milk
4 slices of goat cheese, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
Thyme leaves from about 4 sprigs
Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the balsamic vinegar syrup: Simmer the vinegar in a small saucepan until it has been reduced by half. Add the brown sugar and simmer until you have syrup that coats a spoon. Cool and refrigerate to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the puff pastry into four 4-inch rounds and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut 1/2 way through the rounds, creating a 1 inch border. Do not cut all of the way through.
- Pierce the center of the rounds (inside the 2 1/2 inch border) several times with a fork.
- Brush the outer 1 inch with the egg yolk.
- Spread the onion jam in the middle of the pastry inside the cut border.
- Top the center with a goat cheese round and sprinkle with thyme leaves and black pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until golden and puffy.
- Drizzle with the balsamic syrup.